It was a long day of work at Ruby Tuesday, and my back was killing me. All I wanted was boyfriend, Nick, to come over so we could watch "Dan in Real Life" and go to sleep. Tomorrow was another busy day, and I was just focusing getting through the night. Twenty minutes pass after Nick's estimated arrival time at my apartment, so, being the obnoxious girl friend that I am, I called him. "Where are you?!" I half yell. Nick says, a bit annoyed, "I'm packing up some stuff I'll be over in a minute." "K Bye."
Five minutes later the doorbell rings, so I get up and open the door. "About time!" is all I'm thinking. Then Nick hands me a puppy. Its tiny, brown and black, with floppy ears. " Happy Birthday!" says Nick with a huge grin on his face, because I'm sure he's loving the look of shock on mine. "Is he really mine? He's so cute! Are you serious? Is he mine? Are you serious?!"
Yes, he was all mine. A perfect, early birthday gift that EVERYONE knew about, but me. I was completely shocked and overjoyed. It was all so overwhelming, but so awesome at the same time. I had a cute little puppy that was allllll mine.
Now, my roommate, Betty, and Nick were asking me what I was going to name him (he was a little boy). All I could think was "Geeeez he was put into my hands five minutes ago and you instantly want me to come up with a name for him?" But, a name is important and he needed one as soon as possible. "Hey" would only cut it for the first half hour or so.
These are the suggestions I was given:
Betty: Crayon
Nick: Buddy
Me: Fido
After all the awesome suggestions from my peers, Betty spouts out the name Oscar. I look at him and realize its perfect. He is an Oscar.
Then the fun, frustration, pissy (literally), "Whoops", moments of two college students raising a puppy begin. This is Raising Oscar.

No comments:
Post a Comment